It’s Gratituesday! Today I am grateful beyond thankfulness. I’ve become like a sponge, saturated beyond holding another single drop. I don’t say this in a bragging way, certainly not. No. I say it with amazement and wonder and awe and tears. If I had been told a few short years ago that I could feel such joy I would have laughed, scoffed and denied the silly notion.
Why such unrestrained, ridiculous gratitude?
- The absolute happiness on my son’s face with his new bride.
- The smile beaming on my daughter’s face with her CSU cap and gown.
- The shine of love in that same daughter’s eyes.
- A pregnancy glow in another daughter.
- Another wedding in a just a couple of months.
- Being surrounded by family, extended family, friends, and love.
This seems like more than any one person deserves or should have in one short period. I kind of see it as a counterbalance to a few years ago when my pendulum swung wide and far from gratitude. Maybe it’s a reminder that life isn’t always about the bad stuff, which I believed for such a very long time.
My kids deserve it. They’ve worked hard to get to where they are, to have earned such happiness. Where they are now has very little to do with me. What they have now has everything to do with their own determination, desires, sweat, experience and even redirection.
Does a word exist that describes this pendulum swing, counterbalance, this overabundant, joy-filled time?
Sure the word is…
Sounds delicate, doesn’t it?
It is. Fragile, tenuous, weblike, lacy, barely there.
But, oh so stunning.
Take it in, breathe deeply, enjoy.
Then remember, remember, remember.